- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Oregon coach Chip Kelly extended through 2015
Question of the Day
Kelly led the Ducks to a 10-3 overall record, the Pac-10 championship and a Rose Bowl berth in his first season as head coach a year ago. He is the only Pac-10 coach to win the conference title in his first year.
He earned $1.8 million last year under terms of the original contract.
Kelly took over the Ducks from Mike Bellotti, who coached the Ducks for 14 seasons before becoming the school’s athletic director. Bellotti resigned from that post earlier this year to become a college television analyst for ESPN.
“Chip Kelly’s track record in a short amount of time speaks volumes for his character, integrity and ability to lead this program to a new set of standards,” new athletics director Rob Mullens said in a statement. “It became clear before my arrival at Oregon that retaining him to head the university’s football program was a priority. This is an investment in the future success of Oregon athletics and an investment in retaining one of the brightest college coaches in the country.”
The fourth-ranked Ducks are 4-0 this season heading into a key game against No. 9 Stanford on Saturday.
Should Kelly leave Oregon after this season, he would have to pay a $4 million buyout, but the buyout decreases over the term of the contract.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Our Choice: Individual responsibility and self-government or the abandonment of the American Revolution
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow