Carter sickened, rests at hospital
CLEVELAND | Former President Jimmy Carter, on a trip promoting his new book, developed an upset stomach on a flight to Cleveland on Tuesday and was taken to a hospital, officials said.
Mr. Carter’s grandson, Georgia state Sen. Jason Carter, said his 85-year-old grandfather was doing fine.
“He’s definitely resting comfortably and expected to continue his book tour this week,” Jason Carter said. “I haven’t talked to him, but nobody in the family is concerned.”
Jason Carter said earlier on his Facebook page that his grandfather had left the hospital, but he later told the Associated Press that he had the wrong information. A spokeswoman at MetroHealth hospital in Cleveland confirmed that he was still there Tuesday afternoon.
The Carter Center, the Atlanta-based nonprofit known for its international work on human rights and public health, said Mr. Carter was expected to resume his book tour this week.
The former president was a passenger on a Delta Air Lines flight from Atlanta to Cleveland when he became ill. After the plane landed, he was taken off by rescue crews, said Jackie Mayo, a spokeswoman at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
President Obama called Mr. Carter from Air Force One as he traveled from New Mexico to Wisconsin, White House spokesman Bill Burton said. Mr. Carter was feeling great, Mr. Burton said.
Candidate changes story about felon
ALLENTOWN | A former federal prosecutor running for Congress has dropped his claim that he had permission from the Justice Department to serve as a personal reference for a convicted felon seeking a casino license.
Republican Tom Marino asserted in an April radio interview that his superiors authorized him to act as a reference on a casino application submitted by businessman Louis DeNaples at a time when Mr. Marino’s office was investigating Mr. DeNaples.
Mr. Marino’s account was called into doubt when the Associated Press reported Sept. 17 that there was no documentation that Mr. Marino had permission from the Justice Department to vouch for Mr. DeNaples, a northeastern Pennsylvania businessman who was convicted in a 1970s scheme to defraud the government of more than $500,000.
Mr. Marino now says he never asked for permission because he didn’t need it. He told the Daily Item of Sunbury in a story published Tuesday that he was permitted to provide personal references as long as he didn’t use his job title or attempt to promote staffers.