- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Conservatives don’t find Colbert funny
Question of the Day
Mrs. Lofgren invited Stephen Colbert of “The Colbert Report” fame to testify to a House Judiciary subcommittee. Mr. Colbert’s testimony was scripted, aped a conservative character and included lines like “This is America, I don’t want a tomato picked by a Mexican. I want it picked by an American, then sliced by a Guatemalan and served by a Venezuelan in a spa where a Chilean gives me a Brazilian.” Dead silence followed.
No one laughed; all were shocked. To his credit, Rep. John Conyers Jr., Michigan Democrat, tried to head off the disaster by excusing Mr. Colbert politely, but the actor appealed to Mrs. Lofgren, who insisted he do his “bit.” It was hard to believe anyone capable of writing such “shtick” would not also have the wit to realize it was horribly inappropriate.
That we have underpaid illegal aliens in the fields means something is wrong, not funny. Some of us grew up in agricultural areas and worked in the fields as adolescents, but the John Deere folks made machines to do our work faster, better and cheaper. The same thing will happen for lettuce- and tomato-picking. The economic crash may mean we’re returning to the bad old days of Depression-style labor. Elected officials like Mrs. Lofgren are making things such as these happen.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- LeBron James returning to Cleveland Cavaliers
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America: Land of the free no more?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wage-theft by employers needs legislative remedy
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Douglass would abhor affirmative action
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's voter bloc of 'entitlement' illegals