- Associated Press - Monday, September 6, 2010

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) - With loud, welcoming cheers and some good-natured ribbing from his teammates, Darrelle Revis returned to the New York Jets.


After months of waiting and wondering about his future, the All-Pro cornerback strolled onto the practice field Monday for the first time since June and ended his long contract holdout with a four-year deal.

“It was kind of funny,” safety James Ihedigbo said. “A bunch of guys started the Rudy clap, that nice slow clap, as he came out. We welcomed him with open arms.”

Revis agreed to a four-year deal late Sunday night and took an early morning flight Monday from his home in South Florida. He arrived at the Jets’ training facility after 1 p.m., and rejoined his teammates.

“This has been a long saga,” owner Woody Johnson said.

“There was an energy in our building, in this team, when we knew that Darrelle was coming back,” coach Rex Ryan said.

Revis didn’t practice, but was there in time to address the team and break down the practice huddle, with NFL Films cameras capturing the moment for HBO’s “Hard Knocks” series. Some Jets players shouted, “Revis Christ!” at him, while others poked fun at Revis’ bushy beard.

“It was just good to see him,” defensive tackle Kris Jenkins said. “He is a big part of this team and as much as some of us like to stick our shoulders up and our chests out about how good we are, this is a 53-man game and you need everybody. Having him back really puts the icing on the cake.”

Revis was expected to officially sign his deal _ reportedly worth $46 million, including $32 million guaranteed _ later Monday.

“He’s a tremendous player who allows us to do a lot of things, allows us to open up our playbook a little bit,” linebacker Bart Scott said.

He’ll likely practice Tuesday and be ready to play in the season opener next Monday night against Baltimore.

“I do think we may play Revis, I’m not sure,” Ryan quipped. “I think he might need to practice for several weeks before we play him, but don’t be shocked if he’s out there. In other words, he’s definitely playing.”

Revis, nicknamed “Revis Island” for his ability to routinely shut down opposing receivers, held out for 36 days. Both Johnson and Ryan flew to South Florida on Saturday to meet with Revis, mother Diana Gilbert and uncle and former NFL player Sean Gilbert to try to solve the contract impasse.

That’s when things took a turn toward optimism after appearing so bleak just hours before.

Story Continues →