- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Big-time programs square off huge Week 2 matchups
JoePa visits the Bear’s house. The ‘Canes blow into the Horseshoe for a rematch of the 2002 national championship game. Florida State’s first big game post-Bowden takes place in Norman, Okla., a rematch of the 2000 national title game.
Hey, neither the Fighting Irish nor the Wolverines is ranked.
The Nittany Lions and Crimson Tide routinely squared off in the 1970s and early ‘80s, when Bear Bryant was stalking Alabama’s sideline. The Bear is gone now, but the Tide’s stadium is named after him. Meanwhile, the 83-year-old Paterno has 395 victories.
The last time Ohio State played Miami, it was the Buckeyes pulling off the upset.
Ohio State’s 31-24 double-overtime victory in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl kept the Hurricanes from repeating as national champions and made the Buckeyes champs for the first time in more than three decades. It was also the night official Terry Porter became famous for throwing a flag for pass interference on Miami that is debated to this day.
“It’s like everyone is making sure that we remember what happened,” said current Miami quarterback Jacory Harris, who are the underdogs this time to the second-ranked Buckeyes.
Since Bob Stoops took over at Oklahoma in 1999, the Sooners have been perennial contenders. But they haven’t won a national championship since Stoops‘ second season, when the Sooners beat Bobby Bowden’s Seminoles 13-2 in the 2001 Orange Bowl.
Stoops is still cranking out wins in Norman, but Bowden’s time at Florida State is over. It’s now Jimbo Fisher’s job to return the 17th-ranked Seminoles to elite status and beating No. 10 Oklahoma would be a giant step in the right direction.
No. 21 Auburn (minus 2) at Mississippi State.
Matchup of spread offenses and promising QBs … MISSISSIPPI STATE 31-24.
No. 23 West Virginia (minus 13) at Marshall.
Mountaineers 9-0 in Friends of the Coal Bowl … WEST VIRGINIA 31-14.
No. 18 Penn State (plus 11 1/2) at No. 1 Alabama.
Saban on one side, frosh QB playing first road game on the other … ALABAMA 24-10.
No. 12 Miami (plus 9 1/2) at No. 2 Ohio State.
Can Jacory Harris avoid the big mistake? … OHIO STATE 20-14.
Tennessee Tech (no line) at No. 4 TCU.
Tennessee Tech goes from Razorbacks to Horned Frogs … TCU 50-10.
Wyoming (plus 29) at No. 5 Texas.
These Cowboys won’t fare well in Texas … TEXAS 45-14.
Idaho (plus 28 1/2) at No. 6 Nebraska.
Huskers redshirt freshman QB Taylor Martinez ran for 127 yards in debut … NEBRASKA 42-10.
No. 7 Oregon (minus 13) at Tennessee.
After 72-point opener, Ducks get back star TB LaMichael James … OREGON 35-20.
South Florida (plus 15 1/2) at No. 8 Florida.
Gators problems should be a snap to fix … FLORIDA 28-10.
Iowa State (plus 13 1/2) at No. 9 Iowa.
Cyclones haven’t scored TD vs. Hawkeyes in last 14 quarters … IOWA 21-10.
No. 17 Florida State (plus 8 1/2) at No. 10 Oklahoma.
Sooners need to fix secondary quick with Christian Ponder coming to town … OKLAHOMA 37-21.
San Jose State (plus 38) at No. 11 Wisconsin.
Badgers have won 14 straight home openers … WISCONSIN 45-14.
James Madison (no line) at No. 13 Virginia Tech.
Hokies dealing with annual early season disappointment … VIRGINIA TECH 35-17.
Louisiana-Monroe (plus 34) vs. No. 14 Arkansas at Little Rock, Ark.
It’s officially a ULM home game … ARKANSAS 48-21.
No. 15 Georgia Tech (minus 13 1/2) at Kansas.
It doesn’t get any easier for Turner Gill at KU … GEORGIA TECH 31-21.
Virginia (plus 19 1/2) at No. 16 Southern California.
Trojans are 12-6 against ACC teams … USC 38-17.
No. 19 LSU (minus 10) at Vanderbilt.
Tigers have won six straight vs. Commodores … LSU 28-14.
UNLV (plus 23 1/2) at No. 20 Utah.
Utes home winning streak is at 18 … UTAH 45-16.
No. 22 Georgia (plus 2 1/2) at No. 24 South Carolina.
Bulldogs have won seven of last eight and four in a row at USC … GEORGIA 24-21.
No. 25 Stanford (minus 6 1/2) at UCLA.
Bruins offense is a mess … STANFORD 30-17.
Michigan (plus 3 1/2) at Notre Dame.
Wolverines coach Rich Rodriguez needs it more than Kelly … MICHIGAN 27-21.
Last week: 21-1 (straight); 9-5-1 (vs. points).
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again