- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Monte Carlo replaces Lance Burton with dance crew
Question of the Day
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Monte Carlo casino-resort has replaced longtime Las Vegas Strip headline magician Lance Burton with a hip-hop dance crew that shot to fame through a reality television competition, hotel officials announced Tuesday.
Burton ended a 14-year run at the Monte Carlo on Saturday. He and the Monte Carlo announced their split in April, less than a year after he signed a six-year contract extension.
Jabbawockeez, the first-season winner of MTV’s “America’s Best Dance Crew” competition, will replace Burton in October.
The group, whose name is an homage to a similarly named Lewis Carroll poem in “Through the Looking Glass,” found success as a standalone act earlier this year during a run at the MGM Grand resort. The group has also made numerous other television appearances.
Terms of the deal between the dancers and Monte Carlo owner MGM Resorts International weren’t immediately made public.
The show titled “Mus.i.c” (pronounced “muse I see”) starts Oct. 7, with tickets on sale for shows five nights per week through December.
Hotel officials cited the Jabbawockeez’ sold-out MGM Grand run in its announcement, saying the group was “back by popular demand.”
“Adding them to our list of performers brings an enhanced level of excitement to the resort and will provide guests with another sensational entertainment option,” Anton Nikodemus, chief operating officer of the Monte Carlo, said in a statement.
Burton, 50, has not announced his next plans beyond a vacation. He had performed at the Monte Carlo since the day it opened in 1996. Neither he, nor hotel officials, have given a specific reason for parting ways, but Burton in an April interview compared the split to a divorce for “irreconcilable differences.”
“That’s kind of what we have here. I think we’ve just grown apart, we have different philosophies, and we’re going in different directions,” he told The Associated Press, declining to elaborate.
Burton began performing in Las Vegas 28 years ago with an eight-week run at “Les Folies Bergere,” the topless revue at the Tropicana hotel-casino that closed last year after 49 years. Burton’s initial performances turned into a nine-year run at that hotel.
Before that, Burton was the youngest magician to win the Gold Award for Excellence from the International Brotherhood of Magicians, which is the world’s largest organization for magicians.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors