- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- State Department: ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
Zhang Ziyi to star as Mulan in English production
Question of the Day
HONG KONG (AP) - The folk story of an ancient Chinese woman who replaces her father in battle will get its second live-action adaptation in recent years _ this time in English starring Zhang Ziyi.
The legend of Mulan was made famous worldwide by the 1998 Disney animation. Hong Kong director Jingle Ma shot a Chinese-language version released last year. Now "Speed" director Jan de Bont is taking on an English adaptation featuring "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" star Zhang.
Producer Christopher Brough told The Associated Press in an e-mail on Wednesday that filming will begin this fall in Hengdian Studios in eastern China.
After catapulting to stardom with "Crouching Tiger," Zhang has juggled careers in Hollywood and Chinese film. Her subsequent English credits include "Rush Hour 2," "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Horsemen." In China, her recent releases include "Forever Enthralled" and "Sophie's Revenge." She plays an AIDS patient in Gu Changwei's upcoming film "A Tale of Magic."
The Chinese actress will soon begin training for bow and arrow and ground combat in preparation for her role, her manager, Ling Lucas, told the AP in an e-mail.
"She has complete trust in Jan de Bont to turn Mulan into a memorable screen legend," Lucas said. "She had admired Jan's work for a long time and really looks forward to working with him."
The Dutch-born director's other works include "Twister," "The Haunting" and "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life."
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world