Supermodel Christie Brinkley, 57, makes her debut on Broadway on April 4, when she is to star in the Tony Award-winning hit musical "Chicago," now in its 15th year. The List looks at what Ms. Brinkley has been doing in recent years.
- Acting — Ms. Brinkley will play the jailed killer Roxie Hart for an 11-week engagement of "Chicago" from April 4 to June 19 in the Ambassador Theatre on 49th Street. Others who have played the role include Brooke Shields, Sandy Duncan, Marilu Henner, Bebe Neuwirth, Ashlee Simpson, Michelle Williams and Melanie Griffith.
- Acting debut — The 57-year-old Ms. Brinkley made her acting debut in 1983 opposite Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Vacation" and its 1997 sequel, "Vegas Vacation."
- Ugly girl — Alongside Shakira, Ms. Brinkley was a guest star in an episode of ABC's "Ugly Betty" in 2009. She played an editor of a fashion magazine.
- Real estate I — An 1843 Greek Revival house owned by Ms. Brinkley overlooking Sag Harbor was put on the market last year for $15.75 million. Ms. Brinkley bought the house in 2004 as a gift for her then-husband, Hamptons architect Peter Halsey Cook. Mr. Cook reportedly used it as his love nest in his affair with 18-year-old former toy-store clerk Diana Bianchi.
- Real estate II — Ms. Brinkley owns almost 20 properties in the Hamptons. She lives with two of her children in Tower Hill, a $30 million, 20-acre Bridgehampton estate.
- Daughter troubles — Alexa Ray Joel, daughter of singer-songwriter-pianist Billy Joel and Ms. Brinkley, overdosed on drugs in December 2009. Last year, Miss Joel said she gets support from her supermodel mom: "She tells me — which I don't understand — that she wishes she looked like me, that I'm so much more unique than her."
- Marriage — She has been married four times: to French artist Jean-Francois Allaux, 1973-81; musician Billy Joel, 1985-94 (one child); real estate developer Richard Taubman, 1994-95 (one child); and Mr. Cook, 1996-2008 (one child).
- Angry ex — When Ms. Brinkley sold her wedding dress for charity last year, Mr. Cook blasted her. "Why would anyone want to buy a wedding dress from someone who has failed at marriage four times?" he ranted to RadarOnline.com. "I suggest that anyone who buys that dress and wants to have a happy marriage burn it immediately!"
- Jail him/her — In a tension-filled Long Island courtroom in 2009, a year after their bitter divorce, Ms. Brinkley and Mr. Cook finally agreed on something: Each thought the other should be behind bars.
- Helicopter crash — In 1994, Ms. Brinkley and five others were plucked from 12,800 feet up a mountain by helicopter after the copter in which they had been riding crashed near Telluride, Colo. Ms. Brinkley suffered minor injuries. Then-husband Mr. Joel canceled a concert and rushed to the scene. Her future husband, Richard Taubman, also was seriously injured in the crash, suffering broken ribs, a broken clavicle and a punctured lung.
- Clinton friend — Ms. Brinkley attended former President Bill Clinton's 64th birthday party last year in the Hamptons at the home of his longtime aide Doug Band.
- Hockey fan — Ms. Brinkley is a big fan of the New York Islanders ice-hockey team. In 2007, she showed her support by writing a blog for NHL.com and filmed a commercial.
Complied by John Haydon
Sources: Chicago Sun-Times, Buffalo News (New York), Chicago Sun Times, Daily News (New York), Associated Press, the New York Post.
© Copyright 2015 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.