- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Capitals-Rangers series preview
THREE KEYS TO THE SERIES
1. Just can’t wait to beat King
Goaltender Henrik Lundqvist is easily the Rangers’ best player and is known for his vision - just about any shots he sees he’s able to stop. “We just gotta … get the puck to the net and get guys there and win the battles in front of the net,” Caps center Marcus Johansson said. Putting traffic in front of Lundqvist is the way the Caps might be able to get to him. All-time, King Henrik is 11-6-2 against Washington.
2. Red, black and blue
New York’s trademark is its physical, bullying style of play. And while some players like Matt Bradley say they like that kind of hockey, it could be tough for a quick, young Caps team to adjust. But Karl Alzner has a solution: “I think we gotta wear them down. We gotta keep the puck in their zone. They really love to dump it, crash and bang and I think if we do that to them, it’s gonna be awesome for us.”
Guys like Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom need to put the puck in the net for the Caps to advance to the second round, but that’s not all. Getting secondary scoring from the likes of Alexander Semin and Marco Sturm is crucial. Semin, who hasn’t scored in his past 14 playoff games, could benefit greatly from skating with Jason Arnott. “It’s just great to play with a person like that who can see the ice, who knows what he’s doing,” Semin said through an interpreter.
MATCHUP TO WATCH
While the Caps get the last change at home for the first two games of the series, New York will likely try to match its best defenseman up against Ovechkin. Bruce Boudreau would love to get Ovechkin some free space on the ice, but Staal and defense partner Dan Girardi will do their best to at least contain the superstar and linemates Nick Backstrom and Mike Knuble. Ovechkin has looked quicker and stronger since returning from a three-game absence, so it might not matter who’s defending him.
LIKELY LINE COMBINATIONS
LW Alex Ovechkin - C Nicklas Backstrom - RW Mike Knuble
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.