- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Decisive action needed in Washington now
Question of the Day
If elected officials in Washington could just grasp the meaning of the word “unsustainable,” we might be able to fix things.
When the majority of Americans (and a lot of illegals) are getting some kind of government support or break and do not want to give one dollar of it up, the situation is unsustainable. We are becoming paralyzed by our debt and getting backed against a wall. The steps are clear and easy but no one seems to want to do anything. In a bold move, we must do away with the Environmental Protection Agency, the Internal Revenue Service, Health and Human Services, among other agencies, and stop paying people who don’t do any work.
It does not take a genius to see that welfare programs that give people money pauperize them and remove their incentive to earn a living.
I do not believe that we can solve our problems by going down the same old road of slowly making small cuts here and there. We must take decisive action now. It is much too late for a slow, trickle-down approach.
Yellow Spring, W. Va.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By John McAfee
Get Breaking Alerts
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.