- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Injured Twins C Mauer also recovering from illness
Question of the Day
“It tells us that there’s probably a reason why he’s been so sore, and that’s his system is fighting a viral infection,” Gardenhire said. “It kind of helps us in probably knowing a little bit better where we stand and what’s really going on.”
Mauer was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday because of leg weakness stemming from offseason arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. Gardenhire hopes Mauer will be able to return in a couple weeks.
“I think it eases everybody’s mind knowing he’s got a viral infection, flu-bug thing, and we all know how you feel when you get that stuff,” Gardenhire said. “Probably got him feeling worse than he probably really is.”
“He’s been feeling pretty good until this last weekend,” Gardenhire said. “A little concerned (Thursday) as everybody and Joe was, too. He wants to get out there and play. It’s hard to do when you’re aching all over the place. This is a step in the right direction.”
The three-time AL batting champion and 2009 AL MVP is scheduled for a follow-up visit to a specialist in Baltimore. The doctor treated a lower-back problem that put Mauer on the DL for a month in 2009.
Mauer is expected to start a rehab program next week in Minnesota.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- The List: Top 20 TV medical shows
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq