- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
- California church handing out ‘travel cash’ to illegals heading east
Rocket launches from California coast
Question of the Day
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, CALIF. (AP) - A rocket carrying a national security payload has been successfully launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base on California’s central coast.
The Atlas 5 rocket blasted off shortly before 9:30 p.m. Thursday. Vandenberg officials said the satellite was carrying a classified payload from the National Reconnaissance Office, which oversees the nation’s constellation of spy satellites.
The rocket appeared as a brilliant light streaking across a clear Southern California night sky.
A live video feed of the launch showed exhaust pouring out of the engines and lingering in the atmosphere as the rocket climbed.
The launch, which was scheduled for Tuesday, had been delayed because of a problem with the rocket’s avionics that has since been fixed.
After liftoff, the rocket, flying with a single solid rocket booster, headed south on 1 million pounds of thrust _ equal to the energy of about two dozen Hoover Dams.
The mission is classified and no other details are available about the satellite’s purpose or cost.
United Launch Alliance, the joint venture of rocket builders Lockheed Martin Corp. and Boeing Co., said it’s the fifth defense payload it has launched for the reconnaissance office in the past seven months.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
The EPA takes its cue from rogue president on wage-garnishment scheme
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- LeBron James returning to Cleveland Cavaliers
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- BRUCE: The feds plot to steal your paycheck
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- White House urges GOP to act 'urgently' on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs