- U.N. Human Rights head accuses Israel of war crimes
- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
Texas’ Lewis put on MLB’s new paternity leave list
Question of the Day
A player can be on the new list for 24 to 72 hours. Lewis‘ wife, Jenny, gave birth to daughter Elizabeth Grace on Wednesday in Bakersfield, Calif.
The Rangers made the move before Friday night’s game against the New York Yankees and recalled left-hander Michael Kirkman from Triple-A Round Rock. Texas didn’t want to be caught short of pitchers this weekend after long reliever Dave Bush made a spot start this week.
Texas pitching coach Mike Maddux applauded MLB’s move to create the paternity list this year.
“I don’t know why we didn’t have it before. I’ve longed for the day we would,” Maddux said. “We have the bereavement list and to some, this is for something that’s even more sacred.”
Lewis is 1-1 with a 5.25 ERA in two starts this season. He last pitched Saturday in Baltimore.
The 31-year-old righty went 12-13 with a 3.72 ERA last season, then excelled in the postseason. Lewis twice beat the Yankees with sharp efforts in the AL championship series and posted Texas’ only win over San Francisco in the World Series.
Kirkman is 0-1 with a 16.20 ERA in two starts for Round Rock this year. He made his major league debut last season and spent the final six weeks with Texas, going 0-0 with a 1.65 ERA in 14 relief appearances.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq