- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
AP Source: UMass to join MAC for football
The official spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the school had yet to announce the move.
A news conference is planned for Wednesday afternoon at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass., and the Mid-American conference confirmed in a news release that it will co-host the announcement and that MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher would speak.
Both teams have UMass on their schedule in the next two years. The Minutemen will travel to Chestnut Hill on Sept. 24 and will open the 2012 season at Connecticut.
The Minutemen would become the 14th member of the MAC, joining Buffalo and Temple as the only eastern schools in the conference.
UMass is expected to remain a member of the Atlantic 10 in other sports.
In order to meet NCAA eligibility requirements, UMass must average at least 15,000 fans at home football games over two seasons.
Massachusetts currently plays its home games at the 17,000-seat McGuirk Stadium on campus. Gillette seats just under 69,000 people and is 93 miles from Amherst. By comparison, UConn’s stadium, in East Hartford, Conn. is 48 miles from the UMass campus.
UMass has played in three national championships as a FCS school, winning the title in 2006. The Minutemen finished last season 6-5, 4-4 in the Colonial Athletic Association.
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again