- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
NHL extends deal with NBC, Versus
Question of the Day
NEW YORK | The NHL is staying on NBC and Versus for the next 10 years with a deal that commissioner Gary Bettman calls the most significant in league history.
In a joint announcement Tuesday, the NHL and the NBC Sports Group said the new deal will run through the 2020-21 season. The package is reportedly worth a total of $2 billion.
NBC will remain the exclusive network home for the NHL, and Versus is retaining the major cable rights.
The NHL had drawn interest from ESPN, Turner and Fox, but decided to stay where it has been for the six years since the end of the season-long lockout.
This deal easily would exceed the $120 million contract the NHL had with ESPN from 1999 to 2004.
Under the previous deal with NBC and Versus, overall NHL television ratings in the United States increased by 84 percent over the past four years, and this year's Winter Classic between the Wshington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins on NBC was the most-watched regular season hockey game in the U.S. in 36 years.
Versus boasted its highest regular-season viewership this season, a 17 percent jump over last season.
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Senate overcomes first filibuster of Obama's border-spending bill
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world