- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
Labor hopes escape leads to dialogue with DYRS chief
Cites post-escape actions
Question of the Day
An escape from the District’s juvenile detention facility that involved the brutal beating of a corrections officer has caused labor leaders and city officials to confront issues threatening to derail the confirmation of Mayor Vincent C. Gray’s pick to head the city’s troubled juvenile justice agency, union officials say.
A coalition of labor leaders last month told The Washington Times that they reached a unanimous vote of no confidence in Neil Stanley, interim director of the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services (DYRS).
But in the wake of this week’s escape some of those same labor leaders say Mr. Stanley has demonstrated a willingness to address security concerns that the unions thought fell on deaf ears in the past.
“Right now our approach is to step back, regroup and see if he can respond to our concerns,” said Tasha Williams, president of the Fraternal Order of Police unit that represents DYRS corrections officers.
Such willingness to listen to their concerns, union leaders say, is a recent development triggered by the severity of Sunday’s escape, in which authorities say 18-year-old Travon Curry and another DYRS youth beat veteran corrections officer Sylvester Young and took his car keys and security card. Curry remains at large, after having climbed over the fenced-in compound using a ladder and fleeing in Mr. Young’s car.
At the mayor’s weekly press briefing Wednesday, Mr. Stanley assured the public that security improvements occurring “in real time” will prevent another escape at the New Beginnings Youth Development Center. He offered few specifics, citing the ongoing investigation and the sensitivity of security protocols, except that he has doubled staff on the midnight shift.
Mr. Gray, who spoke to Mr. Young personally on Tuesday night, said he has many questions about the incident, such as why a ladder was left out and how the youth could hop the fence and make it past the guard post.
“We are working hard to locate this youth,” the mayor said.
A four-part series in The Washington Times last year explored the District’s ill-fated investment in New Beginnings - a Laurel facility that houses just 60 of the District’s more than 1,100 committed youth.
When Mr. Gray took office he said DYRS was in need of an “overhaul.” Yet at a press conference last month announcing Mr. Stanley’s appointment, the nominee expressed support for the policies of former DYRS Director Vincent N. Schiraldi, which some have criticized as too lenient and unrealistic given the complexities and dangers of treating the District’s underprivileged youth.
“That’s where the labor community went sour on him,” said Johnnie Walker, former president of the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) Local 383, and a regional political action coordinator. “There was a lot of resentment and anger built up over these last several years. We were expecting a different direction.”
After The Times reported in March that representatives of unions, including AFGE, opposed Mr. Stanley, sources close to the matter say the interim director reached out to labor leaders to hear their concerns. A proposed meeting was postponed due to the escape Sunday night, labor sources say.
At the same time, Mr. Gray has expressed his interest to the Central Labor Council to revisit a framework for labor-management talks that had been abandoned by his predecessor, former Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, those sources say.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Sen. Joe Manchin sued by his brother over old loan: report
- Putin a 'megalomaniac' who must be challenged with force: Sen. Johnson
- New Mexico decides to use HealthCare.gov for 2015
- New Englander Scott Brown turns his gaze to the U.S. border crisis
- HHS: 'Donut hole' reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Murdered teen texted boyfriend: 'OMG ... I think I'm being kidnapped'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world