- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Selfies at Funerals blog creator retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Tea partiers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
Legal fight eyed over BRAC I-395 plan
Report buttresses traffic woes claim
WASHINGTON | A Northern Virginia congressman is asking local jurisdictions to prevent a "looming traffic nightmare" by taking legal action against a planned relocation of 6,400 defense workers.
Rep. James P. Moran thinks officials in Alexandria and Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William counties have enough evidence to make the case that moving workers from offices in Crystal City and elsewhere in Arlington to the new Mark Center in Alexandria will cause excessive traffic congestion around the intersection of Interstate 395 and Seminary Road.
In a report released this week, the Department of Defense inspector general supported dire predictions Mr. Moran has made for months. The agency's watchdog cast doubt on the Army's claim that the relocation won't cause significant traffic problems, saying two previous traffic studies it performed provide insufficient evidence. The inspector general recommended that the Army conduct another analysis, even though Pentagon officials have previously said they would not.
The workers must be finished relocating by September as part of the Army's Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) plan. Mr. Moran called on localities and the state to seek an injunction to allow for more time to find possible traffic solutions.
"I think we finally have the credible foundation for a legal challenge to this pending fiasco," said Mr. Moran, Virginia Democrat.
Officials said they're considering how to proceed in light of the findings. Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Sharon S. Bulova said the county board will discuss options at its Tuesday board meeting.
"The results of the inspector generals investigation validates Fairfax Countys long-standing opposition to the selection of the BRAC-133 Mark Center site," said Mrs. Bulova, a Democrat. "It has long been our concern that this location will cause total traffic gridlock, not only at the Mark Center, but in the surrounding neighborhoods of Fairfax County."
Alexandria Mayor William D. Euille said he spoke with Mrs. Bulova on Thursday and plans to discuss options with Arlington County Board Chairman Chris Zimmerman, a Democrat, and the governor over the next few days.
If legal action is taken, Mr. Euille thinks it should be done jointly by several jurisdictions and only for a tangible result.
"We can go down this road, but at the end of the rainbow, there may not be something there," said Mr. Euille, a Democrat.
Gov. Bob McDonnell, a Republican, is "reviewing" Mr. Moran's request, said spokeswoman Taylor Thornley. Combined state and Defense Department funding has made $100 million available for ramp modifications and intersection improvements, but the projects aren't scheduled to begin until January 2012 - five months after the relocation is scheduled to take place.
A February report by the National Academy of Sciences found that the Pentagon should have helped pay for some of 30 major highway and transit projects needed to accommodate traffic at the Mark Center and two other BRAC-mandated relocations to Fort Belvoir and the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda. Sen. Mark R. Warner, Virginia Democrat, who requested the study, said he'll work with localities to look for solutions.
"Just basic common sense tells you there will be huge challenges if you transfer 6,400 defense workers to an already congested location that's not served by mass transit," Mr. Warner said.
The Army must provide a response to the inspector general by May 6.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- A familiar fading feeling for McMahon in Connecticut
- Romney’s bid to undo health law faces hurdles
- Hill GOP presses Medicare probe
- Romney, Obama advisors butt heads over binders, Big Bird and “Romnesia”
- Outsiders abide by rules in Brown-Warren race
Latest Blog Entries
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- Tea partiers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Leon Panetta named as source of 'Zero Dark Thirty' scriptwriters information
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Interviews and show reviews from the Los Angeles punk scene past and present. Los Angeles has always been rich in punk rock talent since punk rock was born.
Buzz on Bees is a column promoting the love and life of God’s greatest pollinators on earth: The Honeybee
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow