You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Gadhafi unleashes rockets on Misrata

- Associated Press - Sunday, April 24, 2011

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Col. Moammar Gadhafi's forces unleashed a barrage of shells and rockets on Misrata on Sunday in an especially bloody weekend, countering Libyan government claims that the army was holding its fire at the western city.

Despite the barrage, which doctors say killed 32 and wounded dozens in two days, rebels said they had driven the last pro-government forces from the center of Misrata, Libya's third-largest city. Morale among Col. Gadhafi's troops fighting there has collapsed, with some abandoning their posts, one captured Libyan soldier said.

The battle for Misrata, which has claimed hundreds of lives in the past two months, has become the focal point of Libya's armed rebellion against Col. Gadhafi since fighting elsewhere is deadlocked.

Video of Misrata civilians being killed and wounded by Col. Gadhafi's heavy weapons, including Grad rockets and tank shells, have spurred calls for more forceful international intervention to stop the bloodshed in the rebel-held city.

In Washington, three members of the Senate Armed Services Committee said more should be done to drive Col. Gadhafi out of power, including targeting his inner circle with airstrikes. Col. Gadhafi "needs to wake up every day wondering, 'Will this my last?'" Sen. Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Republican, told CNN's "State of the Union."

However, in Rome, Pope Benedict XVI offered an Easter prayer for diplomacy to prevail over warfare in Libya.

NATO's mandate from the United Nations is to try to protect civilians in Libya, which is split into a rebel-run east and a western area that remains largely under Col. Gadhafi's control. While the coalition's airstrikes have delivered heavy blows to Col. Gadhafi's army, they have not halted attacks on Misrata, a city of 300,000 people besieged by Gadhafi loyalists for two months.

Still, in recent days, the rebels' drive to push Col. Gadhafi's men out of the city center gained momentum.

Late last week, they forced government snipers out of high-rise buildings. On Sunday, rebels took control of the main hospital, the last position of Libyan troops in the center of Misrata, said a city resident, who gave only his first name, Abdel Salam, for fear of reprisals. Throughout the day, government forces fired more than 70 rockets at the city, he said.

"Now Gadhafi's troops are on the outskirts of Misrata, using rocket launchers," Abdel Salam said.

A Misrata rebel, 37-year-old Lutfi, said 300 to 400 Gadhafi fighters who had been in the main hospital and in the surrounding area were trying to meld into the local population.

"They are trying to run way," Lutfi said of the soldiers, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals. "They are pretending to be civilians. They are putting on sportswear."

Ali Misbah, a captured Libyan soldier who was wounded in the leg, was held under guard in a tent in the parking lot of the Al Hikmeh Hospital, one of the city's smaller medical centers.

Mr. Misbah, 25, said morale was low among Col. Gadhafi's troops. "Recently, our spirit has collapsed, and the forces that were in front of us escaped and left us alone," he said.

Mr. Misbah said he and his fellow soldiers were told that they were fighting against al Qaida militants, not ordinary Libyans who took up arms against Col. Gadhafi.

"They misled us," Mr. Misbah said of the government.

A senior Libyan government official has said the military is withdrawing from the fighting in Misrata, ostensibly to give a chance for tribal chiefs in the area to negotiate with the rebels. The official, Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim, said the tribal chiefs were ready to send armed supporters to fight the rebels unless they lay down their weapons.

Mr. Kaim also claimed that the army has been holding its fire since Friday.

Rebels on Sunday dismissed government claims of a voluntary troop redeployment in Misrata.

"It's not a withdrawal. It's a defeat that they want to turn into propaganda," said Dr. Abdel-Basit Abu Mzirig, head of the Misrata medical committee. "They were besieging the city, and then they had to leave."

In addition to the casualties, thousands of people, many of them foreign workers, have been stranded in Misrata. Hundreds of migrants, along with wounded Libyans, have been evacuated in aid vessels through the port in recent days.

One of those wounded, Misrata resident Osama al-Shahmi, said Col. Gadhafi's forces have been attacking the city with rockets. "They have no mercy. They are pounding the city hard," said Mr. al-Shahmi after being rescued from Misrata.

"Everyone in Misrata is convinced that the dictator must go," said Mr. al-Shahmi, 36, a construction company administrator who was wounded by shrapnel. His right leg wrapped in bandages, Mr. al-Shahmi flashed a victory sign as he was put into a waiting ambulance upon arrival in Benghazi.

In Rome, the pope told a crowd of more than 100,000 Easter pilgrims in St. Peter's Square that he hopes "diplomacy and dialogue replace arms" in Libya and that humanitarian aid will get through to those in need.

Diaa Hadid reported from Cairo. Associated Press writers Ben Hubbard in Benghazi, Libya; Sebastian Abbot in Ajdabiya, Libya; and Frances D'Emilio in Rome contributed to this article.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.