- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay comments
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
Inside the Beltway
Question of the Day
“A man without a meal ticket is a pitiful thing.”
Lucianne Goldberg, founder of Lucianne.com, reacting to news that Playgirl centerfold Levi Johnston, father of Sarah Palin’s 2-year-old grandson Tripp, plans to write a tell-all expose about the Palin family, promising exclusive photos.
The “royal wedding” has alienated much of Britain because the extravagant plans and cloying hype are “relics from a different era,” says University of Indianapolis historian Chad Martin, who adds that the grim backlash also is fueled by resentment from cash-strapped commoners. Only 6 percent of Americans admit they have followed the ballyhoo, a Harris Poll says.
Meanwhile, one online resource has ignored it all and invented a whopping 41 “Royal Wedding Themed Cocktails” for the curious. IDrink.com is “conveniently” providing the combinations (www.idrink.com/royalwedding). A few samples: Wedding Cake Martini (cranberry juice, sugar, vanilla extract, vodka); Queen Soda (butterscotch schnapps, cream soda), Queen (gin, vermouth, muddled pineapple chunks) and William’s Special (Grenadine, rum, Sierra Mist soda).
POLL DU JOUR
• 54 percent of registered U.S. voters say they would consider voting for President Obama.
• 48 percent would consider voting for Mitt Romney; 69 percent of Republicans agree.
• 46 percent of voters overall would consider voting for Mike Huckabee; 69 percent of Republicans agree.
• 35 percent overall would consider voting for Donald Trump; 52 percent of Republicans agree.
• 34 percent overall would consider voting for Sarah Palin; 60 percent of Republicans agree.
Source: A USA Today/Gallup poll of 902 registered voters conducted April 20 to 23.
• Murmurs and asides, nervous laughter to firstname.lastname@example.org
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: Larry Klayman's spiritual calling
- Legal gadfly in NSA surveillance case can sting even his own mother in pursuit of principles
- Legal gadfly can sting NSA, even his own mother
- Inside the Beltway: Newest Obamacare Website fixer
- Inside the Beltway: Republicans for the little guy
Latest Blog Entries
- Gallup: Americans trust their car salesmen more than Congress
- Painter, biker, slightly grunge: George W. Bush becomes the new hipster icon
- Michael Savage's battle of Britain and the 'undesirables' continues
- The Gipper 24/7: Get the official - and free - Ronald Reagan App
- No kumbaya: Fiscal conservatives snarl at Patty and Paul's budget deal
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Sen. Max Baucus: Obamas choice for China ambassador
- Obama's own panel rips NSA spying on phone calls of Americans
- President gets budget win -- but only by staying out of negotiations
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Lists of top ten movies, songs, funny moments, fashion statements, automobiles, children's names, stupid celebrity moments, first dates, last dates, weddings, and much, much more.
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow