- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
CEO says poor riveting caused hole in Southwest jet
The CEO of Boeing Co. said a “workmanship issue” and not poor design led to a hole ripping open in a plane that the company built for Southwest Airlines Co.
Jim McNerney said Wednesday that signs do not point to a problem affecting large numbers of the Boeing 737.
A Boeing 737 operated by Southwest developed a 5-foot rip in the roof while cruising 34,000 feet above Arizona on an April 1 flight.
Federal investigators found problems with riveting work performed when the plane was built 15 years ago. The National Transportation Safety Board said in a preliminary report this week that holes drilled in the plane’s skin were too big for the rivets and were not properly lined up.
Independent analysts said such problems would increase stress on the plane’s aluminum skin panels, leading to metal fatigue.
Wait is over for Apple’s white iPhone 4
CUPERTINO, Calif. | Apple said the long-delayed white iPhone 4 will go on sale Thursday in the United States, the United Kingdom and 26 other countries for $199 or $299, depending on the model.
Apple Inc. said Wednesday that the prices are for phones purchased with a two-year contract from AT&T Inc. or Verizon Wireless in the U.S.
The black iPhone 4 went on sale in June. Apple had hoped to make the white phones available in July, then in late 2010. But it has said that the gadget was more challenging to produce than expected. In October, Apple said the white phones would be available in the spring.
Separately, Apple says the iPad 2 will go on sale in Japan on Thursday and in Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore and eight more countries Friday.
CEO says J&J learned lessons after recalls
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'economic freedom zones' for Detroit
- Redskins' season hits bottom with Chiefs blowout
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- FENNO: Mike Shanahan's empty words no salve to free-falling Redskins
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Sen. Rand Paul: 'I am seriously thinking about' running for president in 2016
- Legalizing illegal immigrants is the solution to Obamacare: Democrat
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
"Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better." - Dr. Richard Paul
Go beyond tourism's "top 10" bus tour destinations with Susan McKee as she explores the varied history, culture, food, and gardens, of the world.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!