- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
Zadzooks: Tigers Woods PGA Tour, Dead Space HD and Minute to Win It
Even duffers can play golf’s best courses
Question of the Day
Here’s a look at a few games for Apple’s iPad 2.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 (Electronic Arts, $9.99) - Unlike the level of mediocrity recently seen on the golf course in this franchise’s namesake, the latest game bearing Tiger Woods‘ moniker delivers a winning event for owners of Apple’s latest computer tablet.
I’m a novice golfer at best, but as a gamer, I can appreciate the wealth of options and features granted for the $10 fee in this slick simulation.
Players get a golfing avatar all gussied up - complete with purple pants, black gloves and baseball cap - that can shoot a solo round (from three to 18 holes), compete in a full calendar’s worth of PGA Tour events or challenge Tiger himself.
The solo round also offers up to four local players the chance to pass the tablet around and select from a customized avatar or eight current golf pros, including Tiger, Paula Creamer and Zach Johnson.
Now, let’s discuss the all-important stroke meter, which requires a player to move a finger down the meter to power up and pull up to swing. Once the ball is in the air, quickly scrape the finger across the screen in the direction you want the ball to rotate for some killer backspin or to get a few more yards on the drive.
Drawing a straight line leads to the best success - except for the experts looking to carefully craft a slice to strategically drop a shot.
Overall, I found it difficult to master, and putting can be a nightmare. It perfectly replicates the actual game of golf.
Courses available include Pebble Beach, Doral, St. Andrews and Hazeltine, and each looks as pretty as a colorful picture, including animation of birds in flight, clouds, moving shadows and rippling water (a place where my ball often ended up).
The key for an avatar is to collect cash to pay entrance fees. Participating in premiere golf events brings bigger paydays, and the prize money can be used to upgrade skills such as drive control and power.
Experts also will appreciate the control over club selection, shot type, speed and power.
Options that also make PGA Tour 12 worth the price of admission include receiving help from the caddy to see a simulation of a putt before making the final shot, viewing multiple angles of a hole (including gorgeous flyovers) and being able to connect with Facebook and play a “closest to the pin” challenge. (Compare distances with friends.)
I recommend wearing headphones while playing the game. It will engulf golfers’ ears with the sounds of the outdoors, occasionally peppered with applause or groans, depending on the shot (major groans in my case).
The game does have a couple of miscues.
First, there’s the smattering of monotone and monotonous commentary. I can’t believe a better range of narration could not have been picked.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- ZADZOOKS: Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet review
- ZADZOOKS: Sniper Elite III review
- Zadzooks: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season Six review (Blu-ray)
- Zadzooks: Valiant Hearts: The Great War review
- Zadzooks: Transformers: Age of Extinction toys review
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq