- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Question of the Day
Warriors fire Smart; 10-game improvement not enough
OAKLAND, CALIF. | The Golden State Warriors parted ways with coach Keith Smart on Wednesday, the first major fallout this offseason from a new ownership group that has promised sweeping changes to the perennial underachieving franchise.
Smart spent seven years as an assistant with Golden State before he replaced Don Nelson just before training camp. The Warriors went 36-46 under Smart, a 10-game improvement from the previous season but clearly not enough to appease owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber.
They managed to hastily put Smart in place even before the NBA officially approved the sale of the Warriors last year. Smart was only given a one-year contract with a team option for next season, and nothing short of a rare playoff appearance was likely to save his job. Golden State already had decided to keep general manager Larry Riley.
Broncos DE Hunter hospitalized after stabbing incident
DETROIT | Police say Denver Broncos defensive end Jason Hunter was stabbed and taken to a hospital.
The stabbing occurred Wednesday, but police didn’t have any additional information, including where the incident took place, who was responsible and Hunter’s condition. The hospital wasn’t disclosed.
The Broncos released a statement saying the team hopes Hunter “makes a quick recovery,” but that out of respect for his privacy, it wouldn’t comment further.
Hunter is a five-year pro who also has played for the Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers.
Knicks bring back veteran guard Billups for another season
NEW YORK | The New York Knicks announced Wednesday that they are keeping veteran point guard Chauncey Billups, deciding his leadership outweighs the savings they would have earned by waiving him this week.
The Knicks would have been obligated to pay Billups, who will be 35 in September only $3.7 million if they cut him within five days after the season. Instead, he will be on the books for $14.2 million next season..
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world