- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
Aronofsky to head Venice jury
VENICE, ITALY (AP) - The Venice Film Festival has announced that “Black Swan” director Darren Aronofsky will head the jury of the next festival.
Aronofsky’s Oscar-nominated film “Black Swan” opened last year’s festival, and he won the Golden Lion in 2008 for “The Wrestler” starring Mickey Rourke.
“Black Swan” received five Oscar nominations, including best picture and best director. Natalie Portman won the best actress Oscar for her portrayal of an obsessed ballerina.
The festival, in a statement Wednesday, called Aronofsky a key figure in contemporary film, saying his work “constantly engages the evolution and mutations of the many languages of art.”
The international jury awards the Golden Lion and other official prizes. The festival runs Aug. 31-Sept. 10.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.