- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ridicule is a giveaway of Democrats’ dread
If history has shown anything about the underbelly of the Democratic Party, it is that its members mock what they fear.
In 2000 and 2008, the Democrats proclaimed that Sen. John McCain was the strongest Republican in the running for president. Even the New York Times praised and recommended him - that is, until he was nominated. Then the Democrats and their media friends turned away from him so hard I’m surprised they didn’t get whiplash. The same is true for their treatment of former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin and presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann. They seem unwilling to allow the prospect of a smart, conservative woman to take root.
Knowing this gives me second thoughts about the mockery the Democrats are heaping on Donald Trump. Unlike most of the others in the presidential pool at the moment, Mr. Trump has the status and guts not to be frightened by the Democrats. I don’t know what kind of a president he would make; if he does run, that question will be answered in debates and primaries.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral