- The Washington Times - Thursday, April 28, 2011

SWIMIMING

American Hardy declared eligible for 2012 Olympics

Swimmer Jessica Hardy, who missed the Beijing Olympics because of a doping violation, has been cleared for the London Games after the International Olympic Committee informed her she would not be subject to a contentious rule that threatened her eligibility.

Hardy, a four-time NCAA champion and a world champion in the breaststroke, was banned from the Beijing Games only a few weeks before they started because she tested positive for clenbuterol.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport later ruled that she was not at fault for taking a contaminated dietary supplement. But she still received a one-year suspension, which subjected her to the IOC’s “Six Month Rule” that bars any athlete who has been banned for more than half a year from competing in the next Olympics.

FOOTBALL

Door opened for NFL to sue Vikings lineman Williams

MINNEAPOLIS | The Minnesota Supreme Court has cleared the way for the NFL to suspend Minnesota Vikings defensive lineman Pat Williams, perhaps the final chapter in the closely watched anti-doping case.

In a one-page order without comment, the court declined to consider Williams’ appeal of a decision that had gone against both Pat Williams and teammate Kevin Williams, who are not related. The order was signed Wednesday by Chief Justice Lorie Gildea and made public Thursday.

Justice Alan Page, a former Viking, did not take part in the decision.

The Williamses initially were suspended in 2008 for taking the weight-loss supplement StarCaps, which contained a banned diuretic called bumetanide that can mask the presence of steroids. They waged a long fight against the suspensions through federal and state courts, and the league allowed them to play pending a final resolution of the case.

Kevin Williams gave up the fight last month because his attorney said he was tired of the litigation.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

BCS weighs options regarding Fiesta Bowl scandal

NEW ORLEANS | Bowl Championship Series officials remain “deeply troubled” by the scandal that has plagued the Fiesta Bowl this spring, though they are impressed by bowl chairman Duane Woods’ reform-minded approach.

Executive director Bill Hancock says spirited discussion at the organization’s annual meetings Thursday covered a range of possible consequences for the Fiesta Bowl. He says removal of the Phoenix-area game from the BCS lineup remains one of many possibilities.

Hancock says he can’t reveal specifics about the discussions because a task force examining the Fiesta Bowl’s financial and political improprieties has more work to do.

BASEBALL

Victory for Giants’ Vogelsong was a long time coming

PITTSBURGH | Ryan Vogelsong won while making his first start in almost seven years, pitching effectively into the sixth inning against his former team and leading the San Francisco Giants over the Pittsburgh Pirates 5-2 Thursday.

Making just his third appearance in the majors since 2006, Vogelsong (1-0) tied a career high with eight strikeouts. He gave up two runs on four hits and two walks.

The 33-year-old was making his first start since Sept. 29, 2004, while he was with the Pirates against the Philadelphia Phillies.

He won for the first time since Sept. 14, 2005.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide