- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
MOWBRAY: Caution sign for Palestinian pact
Fatah linkup with terror-prone Hamas could end U.S. funds
Question of the Day
After all, the United States would not allow Hamas to open a diplomatic mission here. And not only would Hamas be partnering in the new unity government with Fatah, the dominant force in the PLO, but reports indicate that the terrorist group would officially become part of the PLO.
Also on the table would be limiting the movements of the New York-based Palestinian mission to the United Nations, subjecting its officials to restrictions applied to delegations from other state sponsors of terror, such as Iran.
Should the unity government fail to materialize or dissolve quickly after formation, there could be lingering political damage for Mr. Abbas‘ Fatah party. Republicans likely will be less willing to spare Palestinian assistance from proposed spending cuts, so even USAID funding could take a substantial hit, with or without a unity government.
Worse for Mr. Abbas, Fatah’s identity as “moderate” will no doubt suffer among those who have been supportive. A Democratic Hill staffer who expressed surprise at the possibility of a unity government asked a question many others are probably asking: “We’re always focusing on Hamas, but if Fatah keeps rejoining Hamas in ‘unity,’ how different is Fatah from the group we all recognize are terrorists?”
Joel Mowbray is an adjunct fellow with the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women's fitness tests