- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Ala health agency testing bacteria found in lab
MONTGOMERY, ALA. (AP) - Health investigators were trying to determine whether bacteria found in a laboratory of a company that supplied contaminated intravenous feeding bags matched organisms linked to an infection outbreak in six Alabama hospitals where nine people died after receiving the liquid nutrients, officials said Monday.
Officials checking for signs of contamination at pharmaceutical supplier Meds IV found Serratia marcescens on a faucet and a mixing area in the business, said Dr. Donald Williamson, director of the Alabama Department of Public Health. The same kind of bacteria was found in feeding bags made by Meds IV and given to patients in the hospitals, he said.
But such bacteria are common, Williamson said, and only test results expected Tuesday will show whether the organisms found in the Meds IV lab were linked to those found in the company’s product. The tests are “basically like fingerprints,” Williamson said.
Williamson said investigators might never know whether infections linked to the tainted feeding liquid caused the deaths and illnesses, but several families already have filed lawsuits blaming Meds IV for what happened to their loved ones.
Attorneys for relatives of Lunna Powell, who died at Princeton Baptist Medical Center on March 5, filed a wrongful death lawsuit blaming Meds IV and company officials for her death.
“By supplying the hospital with IV fluids tainted with deadly bacteria, Meds IV endangered the lives of patients, and in the case of Ms. Powell, they caused her death and they must be held accountable,” Leila Watson, a lawyer for the family, said in a statement.
Williamson said Serratia marcescens is common in the home, particularly around sinks, showers and toilets.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.