- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Israeli-Arab actor killed in West Bank
Question of the Day
Mer Khamis said he had planned to stage “The Lieutenant of Inishmore,” a satire of armed resistance, but shelved the idea after someone smashed the window of his car. The shooting took place about 50 yards (meters) from the theater.
Mer Khamis opened his theater along with Zakariya Zubeidi, who had been one of his mother’s former pupils before becoming a militant commander in the refugee camp.
“I used to do this work before the uprising with six of my comrades,” Zubeidi told the AP in 2008. “All of them were killed.”
On Monday, Israel’s Channel 2 TV showed footage of a pool of blood on the asphalt next to the actor’s red car. The killing led Israeli news broadcasts.
A Palestinian ambulance took the actor’s body to a nearby checkpoint to be transferred into Israel.
Jenin governor Qadura Moussa called Mer Khamis a “great supporter of the Palestinian people.” He said Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas told him to bring those responsible for his death to justice.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world