- - Tuesday, April 5, 2011

BASEBALL

Prosecution rests case in Bonds perjury trial

SAN FRANCISCO | Prosecutors rested their case against Barry Bonds on Tuesday as the judge turned down their late bid to get a newly discovered audiotape of two key witnesses heard by the jury.

U.S. District Judge Susan Illston refused to let the panel listen to a tape recording of a conversation between Bonds’ orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Arthur Ting, and his former business partner, Steve Hoskins.

Prosecutors had hoped to use the recording to win back some of the momentum they lost last week when Ting directly contradicted Hoskins, who was a star witness and claimed the pair had repeatedly discussed the home run king and steroids. Illston, however, said much of the tape was inaudible, and what could be heard was irrelevant and inadmissible.

SOCCER

D.C. United’s Najar to play for Honduras

Reigning MLS Rookie of the Year Andy Najar of D.C. United will represent Honduras - instead of the United States - in international play.

The 18-year-old midfielder announced his decision during a news conference Tuesday at RFK Stadium, where United’s home games are.

Najar is from Honduras. He went to high school in Virginia, has a green card and eventually will be eligible for U.S. citizenship.

BASKETBALL

Hornets sign Ewing Jr. for remainder of season

NEW ORLEANS | The New Orleans Hornets said Tuesday that forward Patrick Ewing Jr. has been signed for the remainder of the season. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Ewing signed a 10-day contract with the Hornets on March 26 after David West suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Ewing is a former Georgetown standout and the 26-year-old son of Hall of Fame center and current Orlando assistant coach Patrick Ewing. He spent much of this season in the NBA Development League with Reno and Sioux Falls.

BASEBALL

Fan beaten at Dodger game may have brain damage

LOS ANGELES | A San Francisco Giants fan who was beaten at Dodger Stadium after last week’s opening game shows signs of brain damage and remains in critical condition, a doctor said Tuesday.

Meanwhile, detectives were looking into unconfirmed reports that the same suspects struck other Giants fans minutes before the attack that left Bryan Stow in a coma.

Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic and father of two from Santa Cruz, remained in critical but guarded condition at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center. He suffered a severe skull fracture and bad bruising to his brain’s frontal lobes, said Dr. Gabriel Zada, a neurosurgeon.

AUTO RACING

Trump to drive pace car at Indianapolis 500

INDIANAPOLIS | The Indianapolis 500 says it has selected Donald Trump to drive the pace car in this year’s 100th anniversary race.

Race organizers said Tuesday that Trump will drive a 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Pace Car to lead the field of 33 drivers at the start of the race May 29 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Trump says he’s honored to have the job and says the race “has been the gold standard of motorsports for a century.”

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide