- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
- Sarah Palin responds to Martin Bashir’s resignation, praises media
- Obama to send 2 Gitmo terror suspects back to Algeria
Bong to head Cannes jury for debut filmmakers
PARIS (AP) - The Cannes Film Festival says South Korean director Bong Joon-ho will preside over the jury that awards the Camera d'Or prize for a first-time filmmaker.
Bong is the director of "Barking Dog" (2000) and "Memories of Murder" (2004) but is best known overseas for his 2006 monster film "The Host," which became a massive hit in South Korea. It made $2.2 million at the U.S. box office, and Hollywood producers bought remake rights.
His 2009 drama "Mother" premiered at Cannes, in the prestigious film festival's secondary Un Certain Regard competition. It did not win any prizes at the 2009 festival.
Last year's Camera d'Or went to Michael Rowe's "Leap Year."
The Cannes festival made the announcement in a statement Thursday.
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- HARPER: 'Knockout game' not a myth to liberal Sharpton
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
White House pets gone wild!