- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Notre Dame seeks meeting over student death fine
Question of the Day
SOUTH BEND, IND. (AP) - Notre Dame has asked to meet with Indiana regulators who fined the school $77,500 over the October death of Declan Sullivan, who was killed when high winds toppled a hydraulic lift he was using to videotape football practice.
The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration issued the fine last month, saying the school ignored safety standards that could have prevented Sullivan's death.
Winds were gusting to 53 mph on Oct. 27 when the 20-year-old junior from Long Grove, Ill., went up in the lift.
Agency spokeswoman Stephanie McFarland said Thursday that the university has filed notice that it wants to discuss the report. She says that gives the school more time to evaluate the findings.
Notre Dame says it made the request Tuesday.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- The List: Top 20 TV medical shows
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq