- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
City State: Warner to forego pay during shutdown
Question of the Day
Sen. Mark Warner says he won’t accept a paycheck if lawmakers fail to agree on a funding plan to prevent an impending government shutdown.
Mr. Warner said he was ready to vote in favor of a $78 billion spending cut agreement that was reached Thursday night but then suspended as Republicans demanded a plan that stripped funding from Planned Parenthood.
“Introducing other issues at the 11th hour isn’t the way to get a deal done and let the country move forward,” Mr. Warner said Friday afternoon, urging leaders to reach an agreement and worry about social issues next week.
A government shutdown has been on the horizon since February as Democrats, Republicans, and tea partiers continue to disagree over proposed spending cuts.
If lawmakers can’t even agree on a spending cut just to keep the government operating, Mr. Warner said he’s worried about how Congress will handle next year’s much larger deficit.
“What does it say about when we have to cut down the $14 trillion deficit,” he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- A familiar fading feeling for McMahon in Connecticut
- Romney’s bid to undo health law faces hurdles
- Hill GOP presses Medicare probe
- Outsiders abide by rules in Brown-Warren race
- Iran talks not set up, Obama’s camp says
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq