- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Tuning in to TV
Question of the Day
'America's Most Wanted' creator to get Emmy
The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences board voted this week to give Mr. Walsh its Governors Award at the Creative Arts Emmys on Sept. 10 in Los Angeles. The honor goes to a person or organization that makes a substantial impact or demonstrates an extraordinary use of television.
Mr. Walsh became a crime-fighting activist after his 6-year-old son, Adam, was kidnapped and killed in 1981. “America's Most Wanted” publicized fugitives and has claimed responsibility for nearly 1,200 arrests since its 1988 premiere. Fox canceled the show this spring.
Television academy chairman and CEO John Shaffner said the show is an example of how TV can be used to convey an important message.
George Lopez show canceled by TBS
George Lopez, who surrendered his TBS time slot to Conan O'Brien and then saw ratings for “Lopez Tonight” slide, got a cancellation notice Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. His final show was to air Thursday.
“TBS has reached the difficult decision not to order a third season of ‘Lopez Tonight,’ ” the network said in a statement, adding that it was proud to have worked with the “immensely talented comedian and entertainer.”
TBS declined further comment. The decision was based not only on ratings but also the cost of the show, according to a person familiar with the production, who spoke on condition of anonymity because TBS hadn’t authorized public comment.
A call to Mr. Lopez’s representatives was not immediately returned.
The comic gave up his 11 p.m. time slot late last year to make room for Mr. O’Brien, who joined TBS after leaving NBC’s “Tonight” over a time-slot dispute that ended up reinstating Jay Leno as “Tonight” host.
The plan for TBS was to have a one-two punch of late-night shows that would appeal to young viewers in particular, but the results have been unimpressive and the cancellation unsurprising, said media analyst Brad Adgate of Horizon Media.
“The only positive was a young median age” of about 32, Mr. Adgate said, which is part of the younger adult audience favored by advertisers.
Mr. Lopez’s total viewership dropped 40 percent in its second year, from an average of 910,000 nightly viewers at 11 p.m. to 543,000 at midnight. In August, the audience has dropped to 391,000.
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Harry Reid lambasted by black conservatives after calling Justice Thomas white
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener