- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
Woods shoots 77, worst score ever at PGA
JOHNS CREEK, GA. (AP) - Tiger Woods returned to the major scene with a major thud.
A 15th major title? Forget about it.
Woods will need a major turnaround just to make the cut.
Steve Stricker showed it was possible to go low by keeping the ball in the fairway. He tore up the tough back nine with a 5-under 30 and, after heading to the front nine, pushed his score to 7 under.
Stricker led by two strokes over Jerry Kelly.
Woods was nowhere to be found. When he headed off to the clubhouse, stopping briefly to chat with the media, he was a colossal 14 strokes off the lead and only four players had put up a worst score.
“I’m not down,” he said. “I’m really angry right now.”
Woods knocked two balls in the water and spent enough time in the bunkers to feel like he was on a beach vacation. The result was predictable: Three double bogeys and five bogeys.
That result was stunning because Woods was in his prime, a superb player in the midst of winning 14 major titles.
Now, he looks like just one of the crowd, at best. Woods hasn’t won a major championship since his stirring playoff win at the 2008 U.S. Open _ on a leg that needed major surgery.
Since then, his marriage has fallen apart, his reputation has taken a beating and his game is not the least bit intimidating.
Stricker has never won one of golf’s biggest championships, and the Americans are mired in their longest major drought of the modern era.
It’s early, but maybe he’ll take care of both in one week.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.