- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
- Diapered toddler crashes Jeep, runs home to watch cartoons
- Obama’s post re-election stats irk: 81 golf rounds, 75 fundraisers
Question of the Day
BRAZZAVILLE | A leading human rights group in Congo charged Thursday that the regime is chronically violating democratic values.
With parliamentary elections due in 2012, the Congolese Observatory of Human Rights complained about shrinking freedoms under President Denis Sassou Nguesso.
“The OCDH is alarmed by repeated attacks on democracy and vigorously condemns the numerous arrests targeting people who want to express their opinions as well as the banning of opposition rallies,” the group said.
Prison officials draft geese as new guards
SAO PAULO | An overcrowded prison in northeastern Brazil has added a new layer of security against escapes: two geese.
Sobral prison Warden Wellington Picanco told the G1 news website the geese make a lot of noise when they sense “strange movements.”
He said the geese roaming the prison grounds also will help alert guards to the outbreak of violence among rival gangs at the overcrowded facility.
The prison was built to hold 153 inmates. It currently holds 255.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq