- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
D.C. United snap home skid with 4-0 win over Vancouver Whitecaps
Chris Pontius scores twice; United win at home for 1st time since May 4
WASHINGTON — Chris Pontius scored twice, and D.C. United snapped a seven-game home winless streak with a 4-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
United (7-6-9) was 0-2-5 at RFK Stadium since beating Seattle 2-1 on May 4.
The Whitecaps (3-12-9) sank to 0-9-4 on the road in their inaugural season.
Vancouver nearly took the lead five minutes before halftime, when Willis dove right to push Camilo’s 25-yard free kick onto the crossbar, then blocked two close-range rebound attempts.
Pontius put United ahead in first-half stoppage time when he slid to redirect Dwayne De Rosario’s cross from close range.
Najar made it 2-0 three minutes after halftime when he reached Santino Quaranta’s through ball down the right and drove a low finish off goalkeeper Jay Nolly’s leg and into the net.
Willis played in place of Bill Hamid, who was serving a suspension after receiving a red card in the early minutes of last week’s 3-3 tie with Toronto.
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014