- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
D.C. United snap home skid with 4-0 win over Vancouver Whitecaps
Chris Pontius scores twice; United win at home for 1st time since May 4
WASHINGTON — Chris Pontius scored twice, and D.C. United snapped a seven-game home winless streak with a 4-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
United (7-6-9) was 0-2-5 at RFK Stadium since beating Seattle 2-1 on May 4.
The Whitecaps (3-12-9) sank to 0-9-4 on the road in their inaugural season.
Vancouver nearly took the lead five minutes before halftime, when Willis dove right to push Camilo’s 25-yard free kick onto the crossbar, then blocked two close-range rebound attempts.
Pontius put United ahead in first-half stoppage time when he slid to redirect Dwayne De Rosario’s cross from close range.
Najar made it 2-0 three minutes after halftime when he reached Santino Quaranta’s through ball down the right and drove a low finish off goalkeeper Jay Nolly’s leg and into the net.
Willis played in place of Bill Hamid, who was serving a suspension after receiving a red card in the early minutes of last week’s 3-3 tie with Toronto.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.