- U.N. Human Rights head accuses Israel of war crimes
- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
Norway suspect reconstructs shootings on island
Question of the Day
OSLO (AP) — The chilling images of Anders Behring Breivik simulating shots into the water at the island where he killed 69 people at a youth camp were broadcast around the world Sunday after police took him back there.
Restrained by a harness, the Norwegian reconstructed his actions for police in a secret daylong trip back to the crime scene at Utoya island near Oslo.
A prosecutor also confirmed Norwegian media reports that police received several phone calls during the attack that were probably from Mr. Breivik himself, but the official wouldn’t say how police had reacted to the calls.
According to Norwegian daily Aftenposten, Mr. Breivik offered to surrender several times and asked police to call him back, but they didn’t.
Police said they took Mr. Breivik back to Utoya for a Saturday hearing about the attacks on July 22, when he allegedly shot the victims at the lake island after killing another eight people in the capital with a bomb.
Mr. Breivik’s lawyer has said he has confessed to the terror attacks but denies criminal guilt because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and Europe from Muslims and punish politicians who have embraced multiculturalism.
The 32-year-old Mr. Breivik described the shootings in close detail during an eight-hour tour on the island with up to a dozen police, prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told a news conference in Oslo.
The hearing took place amid a massive security operation that aimed to avoid escape attempts by Mr. Breivik and protect him against potential avengers. He walked roughly the same route as the one he took during the shooting spree and explained what happened with as little interference as possible from police, Mr. Hjort Kraby said.
The entire hearing was filmed by police and may later be used in court, he added.
Video images of the reconstruction published by Norwegian daily VG show Mr. Breivik arriving at Utoya with the same ferry he used to get to the island last month. Mr. Breivik wore a bulletproof vest and a harness connected to a leash over a red T-shirt and jeans as he casually led police around the island.
Mr. Breivik is seen pointing out locations along the way and simulating shots into the water, where panicked teenagers dove in to try to escape from him.
“The suspect showed he wasn’t emotionally unaffected by being back at Utoya … but didn’t show any remorse,” Mr. Hjort Kraby told reporters. “He has been questioned for around 50 hours about this, and he has always been calm, detailed and collaborative, and that was also the case on Utoya.”
Norwegian media also have reported that Mr. Breivik may have filmed parts of the massacre himself. Mr. Hjort Kraby said Sunday that a video camera had been discussed during the hearing on Utoya, but he declined to elaborate.
Prosecutors previously told the Associated Press that Mr. Breivik owned a video camera that they are still trying to locate, but they dismissed reports that they received witness statements about Mr. Breivik filming on Utoya.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq