- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Listening Station: Jeff Bridges’ new album
Maria Taylor launched her solo career half a decade ago, back when it looked like her dreamy pop band, Azure Ray, had split permanently. Now with the band back in full swing, she is still releasing material on her own, divvying her time between the Azure Ray reunion and solo albums such as “Overlook.”
Recorded over a two-week period, “Overlook” is breezier than most of Miss Taylor’s other work, with a handful of rustic Americana songs hinting at a folksier direction. For old-school fans, there’s still plenty of melancholic pop balladry, delivered over piano and acoustic guitar with Miss Taylor’s fragile alto. The best part about “Overlook” is the way it connects those two camps, mixing mood music for long, lonely evenings with folk tunes for summer days.
‘Glee’ 3D bombs at box office
“Glee: The 3D Concert Movie” made less than $6 million at the box office this weekend, even with the higher ticket prices charged for all 3D films. Ten movies fared better, including the much-maligned “Cowboys & Aliens.” On the other hand, the film’s soundtrack is expected to sell at least 30,000 copies, enough to put in the Billboard Top 10. The “Glee” franchise soldiers on.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Russia should be booted from FIFA World Cup, senators say
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- MILLER: Donald Trump says hes a Tea Party member
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again