- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
- CDC sees measles spike and ‘failure to vaccinate’
- Ex-Secret Service agent seeking Md. seat: Everyone’s a ‘de facto criminal’ now
- New prosthetic hand technology lets amputees feel again
- Child killed, 4 injured in Idaho elementary school bus crash
Transit agency head defends cell service shut-off
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The idea to cut wireless communications to quell a brewing protest _ a tactic that has put San Francisco’s subway system in the middle of a global free speech debate _ first came to the agency’s chief spokesman in the middle of the night.
BART’s board of directors was told of the tactic before 5 p.m. Thursday when it was deployed, he said.
The tactic is now at the center of a growing debate in the United States _ and around the world _ over whether BART officials acted properly to ensure commuter safety or overreached and violated free speech rights when it became the first U.S. governmental agency to shut off wireless service to disrupt protest.
The action has been compared unfavorably to Hosni Mubarek’s attempt to shut down the Internet in Egypt before protesters forced him from office.
The agency kept the power on during a rowdy protest Monday that prompted the brief closure of four San Francisco stations during the evening commute.
Johnson said that’s because “the information we had Monday didn’t meet the constitutional standards” to cut communications like it did last week.
On Thursday, protest organizers posted instructions for the demonstration on websites and on Twitter, indicating more instructions would be issued electronically just before the demonstration was to start.
That demonstration was called in response to the communication cut last week. About 50 demonstrators massed on the platform with free speech signs chanting “no justice, no peace.” One protester was walking around with a toy phone shouting “can you hear me now.”
While Johnson’s idea has drawn criticism from some civil libertarians and free speech advocates, others inside and out of the agency supported the decision.
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Budget negotiators look to federal workers for benefit concessions
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- New battlefront emerges in war between Republicans, tea party
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Blast of winter weather heads to D.C. area
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
A collection of reader guest articles, thoughts and opinions by Communities writers and breaking news and information.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
Understanding economic events with a free market explanation
White House pets gone wild!