- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Inside the Beltway
Question of the Day
President Obama’s newest job approval ratings: 32 percent give him a thumbs up, “unfortunately ending the summer with the lowest approval ratings of his presidency,” says Regina Corso of Harris Poll, which tallied the dismal numbers. More than two-thirds give Mr. Obama a negative review; see all the findings in the Poll du Jour at column’s end.
“Even more disturbing for the White House are the numbers on likelihood of voting for Mr. Obama. If the election for president were held today, over half of Americans — 55 percent — say they would be unlikely to vote for Barack Obama while 37 percent say they would be likely to vote for him. Almost half — 48 percent say they would be ‘very unlikely’ to vote for President Obama,” Ms. Corso adds.
“I shot a 39 on the front nine. Matches my approval rating.” “Raining in Martha’s Vineyard. Must be Bush’s fault.” “No Joe. Don’t touch anything while I am gone.”
And there they are — a few mottos from the Republican National Committee’s free online parody postcards themed around President Obama’s vacation to Martha’s Vineyard, now under way. The 18 electronic cards are popular: More than 30,000 were sent in the first few hours of availability.
“A high-class vacation during difficult economic times is a perfect example of an out of touch president. Join us in sending him a postcard, reminding him of your friends and family who struggle because of his failed leadership. Go to www.ObamaGetAway.com to tell this president that he shouldnt get a vacation until you do,” advises RNC chairman Reince Priebus.
“Democrats are the real flash mobs.”
— Bumper sticker motto written by Pete Ries, a retired law enforcement officer in Virginia, for his own vehicle.
BIDEN HIS TIME
“Mr. Chairman, this is much nicer than my office.”
That’s what Vice President Joseph R. Biden said on meeting China’s National People’s Congress Chairman Wu Bangguo, in the Fujian Room in the Great Hall of the People, according to White House pool reporter Michael Memoli of the Los Angeles Times, who adds, “Only minutes into the vice president’s remarks, Chinese officials began directing journalists toward the exits. Soon the shooing became shoving.”
Our 2012 Republicans hopefuls are far-flung this weekend, attending tea party meetings, clambakes, “young Republican” gatherings, church socials and private fundraisers:
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Alaska's language challenge: translating tax forms into Siberian Yupik (at $50 an hour)
- Third time the charm? Americans wish certain presidents had stayed beyond two terms
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- The border crisis could prove a 'big boost' for Republicans as the midterms approach
- Some federal help for old American battlefields: $1.3 million to spruce them up
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world