- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Workers renovating Maracana for WCup go on strike
Union leader Nilson Duarte said Thursday the work stoppage began after a worker broke a leg Wednesday when a barrel filled with chemical products exploded. Workers are expected to meet with employers later Thursday and decide whether to continue striking Friday.
Maracana had been renovated for the 2007 Pan American Games but needed a more extensive upgrade to meet the requirements of FIFA and the International Olympic Committee. It is expected to be ready only a few months before the 2013 Confederations Cup and will cost about $590 million, nearly $200 million more than the original estimate.
Workers renovating Mineirao Stadium in Belo Horizonte briefly went on strike this year over better conditions.
The slow pace of stadium construction is one of the main concerns as Brazil prepares for the World Cup, along with the lack of airport infrastructure. Authorities and organizers have guaranteed everything will be ready in time.
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Young and healthy millennials create risky imbalance by shunning Obamacare
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.