Continued from page 1

The whereabouts of the Libyan dictator has been the subject of widespread speculation since the rebels entered Tripoli and sparked massive celebrations across the capital.

A resident of a neighborhood near Bab al-Aziziya said the rebels had not liberated the area as of Monday evening.

The rebels controlled about 80 percent of Tripoli and were trying to eliminate pockets of resistance from the regime’s forces.

The chairman of the rebels’ National Transitional Council, Mustapha Abdel-Jalil, said Monday that parts of Tripoli and the cities of Sirte to the east of Tripoli and Sebha to the south are still under control of pro-Gadhafi forces.

Gadhafi forces fired a Scud missile from Sirte toward the rebel-held town of Misrata on Monday, said Mohamed, a rebel spokesman. It was the third Scud-missile launch by Gadhafi forces since the start of the uprising in February.

Residents said they were afraid to leave their homes in a Tripoli neighborhood located a five-minute walk from the home of Abdullah Senussi, Col. Gadhafi’s brother-in-law and intelligence chief. Mercenaries patrolled the streets.

They told The Washington Times that Col. Gadhafi’s supporters drove through the streets chanting, “God, Gadhafi and Libya only!”

A resident, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing concern for her safety, said the rebel provisional government, the National Transitional Council, had instructed people to stay in their homes until the rebels liberate the area.

On Sunday night, soon after breaking their Ramadan fast, men and boys in some neighborhoods took up arms and went out to secure their neighborhoods. Some were shot by pro-Gadhafi forces.

The rebels were taking control of government buildings, banks and schools on Monday.

Mohamed, the rebel spokesman who gave only his first name, said the rebels had been planning their strategy to take over Tripoli for some weeks. “Our first priority is to secure the city. We don’t want any looting or for people to try and seek revenge against members of the regime,” he said.

Mohamed said all captured regime fighters would be treated as prisoners of war, in accordance with international law.

On Monday, before Seif al-Islam turned up at the Rixos Hotel, The Hague-based International Criminal Court had asked the rebel council to hand him over to the court. He is wanted by the court on charges of crimes against humanity.

Similar warrants were issued in June for Col. Gadhafi and Mr. Senussi.

The majority of Libyans interviewed by The Times said they want all three to be tried in a Libyan court.

Story Continues →