- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Redskins’ special teamers say rule removes excitement
Question of the Day
The Redskins‘ have told Gano to boom the ball through the end zone in each of the first two preseason games, but special teams coach Danny Smith could change that approach. There might be more strategy involved at some point. Players are hopeful, at least.
“Once the season comes around, he’ll get into all that stuff — bloops and all different kinds of things,” Blades said. “But it’s still preseason. You don’t want to show your cards so early.”
“It’s easy to do,” Gano added. “It just depends on what coach wants.”
Gano has enjoyed showing off his leg strength the past two weeks, but he’s convinced that the coverage team still has value.
“You’re not going to have touchbacks all year long,” he said. “You’re going to get games later in the season where it’s getting colder; the ball doesn’t go as far; windy games. Guys’ legs are going to get weaker throughout the season. It always happens.”
It can’t happen soon enough for players such as Jackson, Blades and Alexander. The more touchbacks that fly through the end zone in the last two preseason games, the more apprehension there will be leading up to final cuts.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
- Costco to re-stock Dinesh D'Souza's 'America' after public outry
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- CURL: Obama turning millennials into Republicans
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener