- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Sources: Adelman in town to meet with Wolves
Question of the Day
Two people with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press that Adelman arrived in the Twin Cities on Tuesday to meet with Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor and president of basketball operations David Kahn.
The two people spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to comment publicly on the search.
The 65-year-old Adelman had a phone conversation with Kahn earlier this summer. The two of them have known each other for years dating to Kahn’s time as columnist at The Oregonian while Adelman was coaching the Portland Trail Blazers.
But Adelman told the Statesman Journal last month he planned to take next season _ if there is a season, of course _ off from coaching.
After initially saying he was going to leave the team’s coaching situation entirely up to Kahn this offseason, Taylor has taken on a more prominent role in the last few weeks. He was integral in bringing former Timberwolves player Sam Mitchell in for an interview and played a role in persuading Adelman to at least come in for a face-to-face meeting.
The Timberwolves also have interviewed Terry Porter, Mike Woodson, Don Nelson, Larry Brown and Bernie Bickerstaff for the job, but Adelman has been one of their top targets ever since Kurt Rambis was fired in July.
Adelman is 945-616 in 20 seasons as a head coach of the Trail Blazers, Kings, Warriors and Rockets. He parted ways with the Rockets in April, and Houston hired former Timberwolves coach and general manager Kevin McHale to take over the team.
Adelman runs the kind of uptempo, free-flowing offensive system that Kahn has wanted to install in Minnesota ever since he took over in 2009. He also has a good relationship with Timberwolves All-Star Kevin Love, who played on the same Oregon high school team as Adelman’s son.
He has coached 19 full seasons, leading the Blazers to the NBA finals in 1990 and 1992. He coached the Warriors to back-to-back losing seasons in 1995-96 and `96-97, the only times he has coached a full season and had a team finish with a losing record.
The Timberwolves are coming off an NBA-worst 17-65 season. They have a promising core of young players with Love, No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams, Ricky Rubio, Wes Johnson and Michael Beasley.
But the Wolves have the youngest roster in the league and are lacking the kind of veteran leader in the locker room that can be so helpful to a coach. So it remains unclear if Adelman wants to take on this kind of rebuilding project rather than wait for a job to open with a more veteran roster that may be better equipped to win in the short term.
Follow Jon Krawczynski on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/APkrawczynski
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq