- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
- School bus driver gets probation after kicking autistic girl, 8
- Ex-Army Ranger petitions to keep tan beret off certain soldiers’ heads
- U.S. clears sale of $680 million in Black Hawk helicopters to Mexico
- Justice Dept.’s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Kansas man wants ‘Murder’ tattoo removed from neck before murder trial
- Obama goes golfing as family mourns aunt’s death in Boston
- Atheists win prayer battle against California city council
- Americans for Prosperity ad attacks N.H. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen’s Obamacare vote
- Senate races are close in Southern states, poll shows
Jacory Harris expects to play in Miami’s opener
CORAL GABLES, FLA. (AP) - Seeming upbeat as usual, Miami quarterback Jacory Harris did not hesitate when asked about the fast-approaching start of the Hurricanes’ season.
“I expect to play,” Harris said. “Yes, sir.”
The NCAA will decide soon if that becomes reality.
Harris and many other Miami players implicated by the extra-benefits scandal that threatens to negatively impact the program for years spoke out for the first time Saturday about the mess. None provided any specifics about the claims that former booster and imprisoned Ponzi scheme architect Nevin Shapiro made to Yahoo Sports, alleging that he provided extra benefits to Hurricane players and recruits from 2002-10.
But many, like Harris, expressed some sense of optimism that they may be cleared in time to play Sept. 5, when Miami opens at Maryland.
_”These people, they know what to do,” defensive lineman Marcus Forston said.
_”I’m very hopeful,” wide receiver Travis Benjamin said.
_”We know we’re all we’ve got right now, this team,” safety Ray Ray Armstrong said.
_”My spirits are high. I’m the same person. I’m not letting it affect me,” linebacker Sean Spence said.
They are among 12 current players known to be under investigation by the university, and presumably the NCAA, for their involvement with Shapiro. A person with knowledge of the process has told The Associated Press that eight players _ Harris, Spence and Benjamin among them _ have been declared ineligible by the university, which then turned the matter over to the NCAA and asked that a reinstatement process be expedited.
The school has confirmed that they asked the NCAA for rulings on Thursday. The school has not confirmed how many players are ineligible, nor any of the names involved. On Saturday, Miami coach Al Golden _ while not discussing any players specifically _ seemed to suggest much of the university’s investigation revolves around incidents that happened long ago.
“I was sad for the guys, because I think we all as individuals, we hope to grow, we hope to mature, we hope to learn from mistakes,” Golden said. “These guys are no different. If what has been alleged, if there ends up being some truth to it and they do have to serve some penalties, it’s three years ago. So not only are they different than they were last year, now we have to go back three years. That’s why I feel bad for them.”
Besides Harris, Forston, Spence, Benjamin and Armstrong, the other current players who were named by Shapiro in the Yahoo Sports article were Vaughn Telemaque, Aldarius Johnson, Olivier Vernon, Marcus Robinson, Adewale Ojomo, Dyron Dye and JoJo Nicholas.
Miami President Donna Shalala said several days ago that the school was trying to determine the eligibility status of 15 student-athletes. She did not specify names or how many were football players.
“Sometimes life’s not fair,” Miami center Tyler Horn said. “But I’m not worried about it. I’m focused on what I can control, and that’s football.”
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014