- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Texas’ Gilbert gets another chance to start at QB
Question of the Day
The choice of Gilbert as starter is likely to be met with some derision from Texas fans, who watched the Longhorns lose five of seven home games last season and heaped much of their criticism on the former high school All-American from nearby Lake Travis.
Gilbert often looked frustrated and unable to take control of an offense that sputtered badly, particularly in home losses to Iowa State and UCLA, and a road defeat at Kansas State when Gilbert threw five interceptions.
Gilbert said he can’t worry about what fans think of him. He said he held his head high in the offseason and didn’t shy away from the public. He also said he didn’t hear any criticism.
“I guess I don’t have a noticeable face,” joked Gilbert, who at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, stands out in most crowds. “I was able to stay fairly incognito.”
Gilbert, who stays in touch with former Longhorns star quarterback Colt McCoy (Case’s older brother), said the best advice he’s received was not to dwell on the past and concentrate on the competition. McCoy had to beat out Jevan Snead to win the starting role in 2006 and finished his career with 45 victories, an NCAA record for starting quarterbacks.
“It’s not something you can worry about anymore,” Gilbert said. “As far as the quarterback job was concerned, it was all about me.”
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world