You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Fairfax officers cleared in fatal shooting

- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Two Fairfax County police officers who fatally shot a Defense Department security officer after a disturbance at the man's home in Centreville will not be criminally charged, police said Tuesday.

Commonwealth's Attorney Raymond Morrogh told the county police chief, Col. David Rohrer, he found "no basis for criminal liability on the part of the police officers" who fired on Ricardo Leon on July 21, county police said.

The officers had been assigned to administrative duties since the incident but can now return to patrol duties, police said.

Officers responded to Mr. Leon's house in the 6100 block of Kendra Way at about 1:30 a.m., after Mr. Leon's wife and a neighbor called police to report a disturbance at the townhouse, police said. When six officers arrived on the scene, several windows to the townhouse had been broken out and they saw Mr. Leon inside the open garage with a shotgun.

Police said Mr. Leon started to approach them, armed,and that they issued orders for him to drop his weapon and to stop advancing.

When Mr. Leon did not comply, several officers fired their service weapons, striking and killing him, police said.

Mr. Leon, 34, had been a civilian employee with Naval Support Activity Washington since 2003. There he had most recently helped to oversee security at the Naval Observatory and vice presidential compound in Northwest.

Coworkers told The Washington Times that Mr. Leon had been acting so erratically at work on the morning of the shooting that he was hospitalized. Around 7:20 p.m. that day, police and paramedics were called to his home for a report of a sick person and he was taken to a hospital to be observed again, police said.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.