- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ma working to reduce Taiwan Strait tensions
Your recent report on the status of defense in the Taiwan Strait (“Two Chinese jet fighters challenged U.S. spy plane over Taiwan Strait,” Page 1, July 26) makes the groundless claim that Republic of China (Taiwan) President Ma Ying-jeou’s policy has not lessened military tensions or improved Taiwan’s defenses.
The ROC has maintained and will continue to maintain a strong defense for its own sake. It is the long-held position of the ROC government to actively pursue and procure advanced defense weaponry. Mr. Ma has repeatedly called for the U.S. sale of F-16C/D fighters and the ROC has presented letters of request to the U.S. government.
During the visit of mainland China’s head of state, Hu Jintao, earlier this year, President Obama publicly recognized Mr. Ma’s efforts to reduce tension in the Taiwan Strait, saying that he welcomes “the progress that’s been made on both sides of the Taiwan Strait in reducing tensions and building economic ties,” and that this progress is “in the interests of both sides, the region and the United States.”
This policy has also been acclaimed by Taiwan’s neighbors and by the broader international community, attesting both to Taiwan’s determination for self-defense and to Taiwan’s position as a regional peacemaker.
FRANK YEE WANG
Director, Press Division
Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the U.S.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal