- The Washington Times - Sunday, August 7, 2011


Typhoon hits Shanghai, heads for northeast port

BEIJING — A typhoon blew down power lines and billboards in the Chinese financial hub of Shanghai on Sunday and aimed at a northeast port city where beaches were closed and sandbags were piled on the waterfront.

High waters and heavy surf already were battering Qingdao’s coastline as Typhoon Muifa hugged China’s eastern seaboard, weakening as it approached the industrial port city. Muifa was expected to make landfall as a severe tropical storm Monday morning near Qingdao, home to 7 million people and the Chinese navy’s north sea fleet.

Evacuations were ordered for 600,000 people, including in Shandong province surrounding Qingdao and points to the south. About 20,000 Shandong fishing boats were ordered into port and some were lifted out of the water for safety.


Palestinian rivals seek reconciliation deal

CAIRO — Rival Palestinian groups Fatah and Hamas ended talks in Egypt on Sunday aimed at implementing a reconciliation deal struck in April, with an agreement to release political prisoners and passports for Gaza residents, a spokesman said.

The discussions were “positive,” and both parties agreed to meet again in early September in Cairo, according to Egypt’s Middle East News Agency.

The meeting ended with both sides agreeing to work for the release of political prisoners of both movements in Gaza and the West Bank. They also agreed to solve the issue of passports for Gaza residents by the end of Ramadan, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zahri said in Gaza.


President leaves hospital after recovering from attack

SANAA — President Ali Abdullah Saleh has left a hospital in Saudi Arabia more than two months after being severely wounded in an attack on his palace compound in Sanaa, Yemen’s state news agency said Sunday.

Mr. Saleh, who was badly burned in the June 3 blast, was discharged from the hospital in the Saudi capital of Riyadh and moved to a government residence in the city to further recuperate, the SABA news agency said.

It was not immediately clear when or if Mr. Saleh will return to Yemen, which has been rocked by more than six months of mass protests calling for his ouster.

Story Continues →