- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
RIAA names Cary Sherman chairman, chief executive
Sherman, 63, takes the role on Sept. 1 and succeeds Mitch Bainwol, 52, who has resigned to become chief executive of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. Sherman, who joined the RIAA as general counsel in 1997, has served as president of the organization since 2001.
The RIAA also said it has named Mitch Glazier senior executive vice president. Glazier, 44, has handled the group’s government relations activities for the past 11 years.
The RIAA represents recording labels including Sony Corp.’s Sony Music Entertainment, EMI Group Ltd., Vivendi SA’s Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group.
Sherman takes over the organization as online services such as Apple’s iTunes and Pandora are driving profound changes in the way consumers listen to and purchase music. As compact disc sales decline in the Internet era, the RIAA’s top priorities include combating illegal music downloads and other forms of digital piracy, and guiding the industry as it introduces legal alternatives for consumers to buy music online.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.